This is the diary & short stories of Shalee Lianne Cerra, in the fictitious universe, New Eden, in the game of Eve Online. Come be a part of her world...

Monday, November 1, 2010

Entry 117: God's Will

She walked along the catwalk of her hangar in Kourmonen, watching as her crew readied her newest Abaddoned class battleship, the Beautiful Dangerous.

Already tuned in to the militia and various other intel channels, she listened as the Amarr started to rally to engage a roaming fleet of Minmatar.

Half of the fleet was several systems away and others were refitting their vessels, so she took her time getting into pod. She stretched languidly, rubbing the back of her neck as she paced along the metal grating, heading towards the pod station.

A holodrone activated with an incoming transmission. She accepted as she leaned against the railing, her blue gaze scanning across the hologram of an Amarrian.

"Greetings and Salutations Former Praetorian." He smiled.

"Greetings." She looked at him curiously, trying to place the face or voice. He knew that she'd been a praetorian, but that wasn't exactly a secret. Any pod pilot could access her public file.

"Do you have a few moments to speak, or do other matters require your attention?" He asked.

"I can speak," she replied as she checked his public file.

"Allow me to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Milan Skrlec." He rolled his r's.

"A pleasure. Shalee Lianne." But obviously you already know that.

"No rank or title Ms. Lianne?"

"Commodore."

"Ja. Commodore. I knew you would go far, I just always thought it'd be with PIE. However, I am glad that your path has been ordained to travel contrary to my expectations."

"You know of me because...?"

"Because I mentored you in PIE. Before I went underground with the Jovians... and before they stuck me in this... new body." He smiled.

"Michael?!" Her face lit up as she started towards him, as if to hug him. She stopped short, dropping her arms to her side.

"In the flesh... so to speak."

"Oh god, it's been so long. How are you?"

"Quite well. Given that I'm someone else now. I hear that my old body was sold off to someone and they're spending a wonderful amount of time in low sec mining the hell out of veldspar. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to afford a brain with better skills... so I get to start my career and life from scratch."

"Mining? How dull."

"A body wired for combat and he decides to prance about asteroids."

She continued to grin, "I am so happy to hear from you! I've thought about you often."

"Have you really?" He blushed. "I have to admit the same."

"I have, of course. I can't believe this...I thought you were dead."

"So did I. I've learned alot about faith.... about death. About many things. But surely that's rather dull. I'm going to guess that you left PIE because of Faith. And since we can't die that's also a pointless topic. I actually contacted you for several reasons."

"Tell me."

"One. I know you. You're safe and I can speak with you about anything. Two: You have a bounty on your head. Three: I and another wish to join you in having bounties on our heads as well." He smiled again.

"Ours?" she questioned.

"A friend, he just graduated the Academy today. His name is Monamarth."

"You're coming back to the warfront?" she asked, pleased by the thought of having him near once again.

"Depends on which war we're fighting. Amarr and Minnies?"

"But of course."

"I hear that you're a very influential person in your Corporation. I don't want to muddy your dress so to speak." he said.

"I don't know what you know of us, really. We are small. But yes. A Director. It's just Aldrith Shutaq and I who run things."

"Aldrith!? That old rat!" He laughed, "Wonderful news! It's just the two of you?"

"That run things, yes."

"Will you admit those who are not Amarr?"

She nodded, "Yes, of course."

"I graduated the university two days ago, he just today. Our skills are nowhere near what's needed for the fight."

"That doesn't matter. We would love to have you."

"I would be honoured to join again."

"How exciting. This is such wonderful news. Just send in an application, have your friend do the same."

"Where are your offices?"

"Huola, and Amarr. Though these new pod interfaces allow you to join from anywhere."

"I admit, I don't recall many things. I remember teaching classes to new recruits the basics of space combat... but I don't recall the material. I can't remember much of the interfaces, much of fighting in space.... I've been away too long."

"Then it is I who will be your mentor. Fitting, I think."

"Agreed."

"I'm going to speak with my friend and make sure that this fits in with our long term plans."

"You know. I remember those days, coming out of the Academy. It was daunting." she said.

"Especially more-so now. There's much more to take in all at once." he agreed.

"Let him know I will be sympathetic to that and will work with him personaly if he should like."

Milan seemed distracted for a moment, "I see that your dossier has become rather interesting. You're friends with Verone?"

"Yes...I am friends with him." She frowned suddenly, "Or something like that. It's complicated. Anyhow I have to cut this short, I'm needed out on the front. I would very much love to see you, do come to Mercy's Keep on Amarr, we will catch up soon."

She killed the connection as she headed inside the medical lab to be readied for her pod. Jonathon, her chief pod technician, gave her a curious look.

"Something bothering you Commodore?"

She shook her head, "Not really... just an omnious feeling." She threaded her fingers through her hair, taking a calming breath. "I need to shake this off, I can't go into battle feeling like this. Too many lives are at stake."

He gave her a reassuring smile as he started to connect her to her pod, "God's will be done."

She nodded as she felt the ambiotic fluid filling her pod. Her senses heightened, awareness tingling throughout her body as she became suspended in liquid, her consciousness melding with the electronics of the ship.

Over comms, Eran had given the order to undock.

The abaddon eased into the darkness of space.

Twenty minutes later an explosion lit the Auga stargate as the battleship was ripped into a thousand pieces. Six thousand crew members dead.

God's will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment